tisdag 8 mars 2011

Spring Break in Chicago

Three mid term exams done.
Two assignments remains.

Then, an airplane from Vegas will take me and Rebecka to Chicago. In other words one week of shopping, NHL, NBA, cool food places and hanging out with Rebecka's friend Julia.

So here is a teaser what Chicago seems to be all about :)

Chicago is located south west of beautiful Lake Michigan. Chicago is the third largest city of USA (after New York and Los Angeles). Almost three million people live in Chicago, and about ten million in the whole metropolitan area.

For a sports fan like me, I'm really excited going to Chicago - the city that has been voted as the Best Sports City in 1993, 1996 and 2010. It's the home of Chicago Blackhawks (National Hockey League), Chicago Bulls (National Basketball Association), Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox (Major League Baseball), Chicago Bears (National Football League) and Chicago Fire (Major League Soccer).

Chicago Blackhawks are the Stanley Cup Champions of 2010. On monday 14/3, they'll host the San Jose Sharks in the United Center - the largest arena in the United States. We got tickets!


The day after, tuesday 15/3, Chicago Bulls will be hosting Washington Wizards. I don't know much about Basketball, but after two months of ESPN and SUU Basketball I'm starting to fall in love with the sport. But, if the game somehow get's boring, You can always rely on the pause entertainment between the quarters. Just look at the picture below.


These guys, "The Matadors", are regulars in the United Center in Chicago. We'll see if we are "lucky" enough to see them on tuesday. I really hope so!


Based on the pictures, the distance between "The Matadors" and food don't seem very long. So, let's talk about that topic. 


Chicago has all types of food you can imagine. In the Swedish Part of Chicago, Andersonville, there are almost no Swedes left. Important though, is that all the restaurants and shops remains. As typical Swedes, I can guarantee that we'll spend many hours there. 


Finally, here is a list of three restaurants/food places (some based on the tv show Man vs. Foods) that we're going to visit:


3. Tre Kronor Restaurant (www.trekronorrestaurant.com)


2. Hot Doug's (www.hotdougs.com) (Btw, I hope their food looks better than the website)


1. Al's Beef (www.alsbeef.com)



Less than 72 hours until departure now. So excited.
What's your favorite city in USA? And why?


ps. Check out these blogs from two of my classmates: 
http://wouldyouandwhy.blogspot.com
http://www.thebestsongsyouveneverheard.blogspot.com ds.

4 kommentarer:

  1. Daniel- you must have Julia take you to Peaquod's for pizza- or to Gulliver's which is a little closer to her place. Lots of people will tell you to go to Lou Malnati's or Gino's but Peaquod's is by far my favorite. If you can't get to Al's beef go to Portillo's for an Italian Beef- and there will be loads of other options for Rebecka there. You picked the right city to eat in- oh it is so good. Julia lives in Albany Park which in the most ethnically diverse neighborhood in the city. You can try all kinds of different food there. Did you see the Man vs. Food on Chicago? The last bit was Albany Park. Have fun!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Brita, thank you so much. I appreciate it!
    I've put Peaquod's, Gulliver's and Portillo's in my notes on the phone, so now there's now way out. Have to go there :)
    Albany Park sounds like a really cool place, I'm so excited going to Chicago, because I know nothing about it.
    Yeah, I saw the Man vs. Food on Chicago. Did you? I don't know why, but I just love that show. Hope everything is good with you and the boys! (including Gary of course) :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. I've heard Chicago is great, so please enjoy it! But watch out for the matadors, they seem terrifying..! To choose from the three cities in US that I've been to, San Fran is the greatest. There's nothing like it :). Kram

    SvaraRadera
  4. Maria, oh cool - I hope you're right. And I agree about San Fran, it's hard to beat that. :) Kram!

    SvaraRadera